Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Gingerbread Cookies





4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg(or grated fresh
1/2 cup butter-room temp.
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs

Combine the dry ingredients. Beat butter, shortening and sugar together until combined. Add molasses and eggs, mix just until combined. Slowly add dry ingredients 1/2 cup at a time.
Chill for two hours if you want to roll it out and cut shapes.
Or just scoop and roll in sugar. Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges start to look dry.

Note: You can also add some chocolate chips to the batter.

3 comments:

JnR said...

Love the red decorative sugar, thanks for the recipe, don't know if I will make them tonight I'm a little tired, maybe tomorrow.

fiona said...

Oh the irony. We made gingerbread cookies last week, sooo yummy! And had just enough molasses left for one single batch (hard to get molasses here). So we made them last night and I put in a TABLESPOON of baking soda vs. the teaspoon it called for. Same with the cinnamon. I figured, "oops, but they'll just be a little puffier" Nope. Super flat, didn't even harden, unless you count sticking like glue to our only good cookie pan...sigh, I'm so sad, your cookies look so delicious!!!

carlo said...

they look so yummy! i love the look in the bag.

i was going to do cookie boxes for cassie's teachers but i may just use bags for each selection and ribbon after seeing yours!