Why is it that if you make homemade bread and you are a Mormon you are called a "Molly Mormon" and to your friends who are not they call you Martha Stewart? Can't I just be Cara, lover of made from scratch food? I don't want to be either, I just love to bake. It all started by watching my grandma bake, from scratch, delicious rolls and pies. Ever since I was about 10 I was always making something in the kitchen, and I think my mom was glad I liked to cook and bake because she soon gave my the job of making family dinner, so that's were I got my practice and love. And then to further fuel the love of baking I went to work at the local bakery here in town. There I learned even more, I may not love cookies any more but I still love to make bread. There is something very comforting about baking for me, that's why there were so many baking and chocolate episodes after my sister passed! I find it very relaxing. Enough with the history lesson and on to the recipe. This one is from my mom, it makes a nice soft loaf for sandwiches.
I finally got my wheat grinder, I have been wanting one for years.
Doubled and ready to be punched!
Doubled again and ready to go into the oven.
This is all we had for dinner yesterday, along with a tall glass of milk!
Grind four cups hard red winter wheat berries. It should equal about 7 cups flour.
Place 4 cups flour in mixer bowl. Add:
1½ T. Saf Instant yeast
4 T. vital wheat gluten - kind of hard to find, I found some at the health food store
1½ T. dough enhancer -My mom is going to send me some, you could do without or order some online
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup honey
2+ t. salt (according to taste)
2½ C. warm water
Mix thoroughly. Let sponge for 15-30 minutes. Stir down. Add remaining flour, stirring until dough leaves sides of bowl. Add unbleached white flour if necessary. Knead 8 minutes. Form into ball. Place in greased bowl. Let rise until doubled. Punch down. Form into loaves. Let rise until doubled. Place in cold oven. Turn oven to 350ยบ. Set timer for 30-35 minutes for large loaves.
4 comments:
Let me clear up my thoughts on the whole Molly Mormon thing. I don't think YOU are a Molly. (Though I'm sure you are spiritual enough to recieve that title.) I believe that someone who bakes lots of different things, is just amazing at it, and does it because it's their love, is just talented and lucky. If you bake bread because you are afraid that when the world comes to an end that will be the only thing that saves you, you are a Molly. Martha Stewart, you can't be a Martha, you've never been to jail!
Hi Cara! I have been folowing your blog for a while! You do a great job! I love your recipes and crafty things you create! I just wanted to comment and let you know, there is a store in San Antonio off of Jackson keller called breaking bread the healthy way, and she has dough enhancer, vital wheat gluten and a ton of other stuff you might find helpful in your pursuit of baking and food storage stuff. She sells walton feed stuff in bulk.... like hard white wheat in the 45lb buckets and also hard red if thats what you like plus multiple other things! You can google her store and should beable to find it and driving directions! Happy baking!!
Those look beautiful. Just beautiful. I want a wheat grinder! You know what's yummy? Whole wheat pancakes, made from freshly ground wheat. Every time I go home, my mom makes them at least once...so nice and chewy...I make some here, but from wheat flour (and cornmeal), and they're yummy, but not quite the same. I think the key is freshly ground and a little chunky. I liked the history lesson, by the way! I hope Nuala loves to cook and bake, and I can turn the reins over to her when she's old enough! ;)
dont worry, im a molly mormon and its not so bad! :) you are awesome and i love your blog. its basically how i feed my family and treat myself. ;) I NEED A KITCHENAID!!!!! wahhhh
Post a Comment