Monday, November 2, 2009

Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones

Golly Beaver these are swell! Ever since I saw the recipe for these they were on my mind for at least a week before I could get to making them. Oh it was worth the wait, hazelnut and chocolate go together like peanut butter and jelly or bread and butter or well you get the picture! There just that good! Try them and you will see!


Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones
Pre-heat oven to 400ºF
• 2 cups flour
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 4 Tablespoons butter (chilled)
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used buttermilk cause I didnt have yogurt)
• 1 egg
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
• 1 cup chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients and add the butter in small chunks. Cut in the butter using your favorite method, I like a pastry cutter. Add the liquids and stir just a bit. Add the chocolate chips and the nuts and stir more. It will make a mess with little shape. Dump onto a cookie sheet and pat into 2 circles—these should be thick, about 1/2 high. Cut the circles into quarters and separate, making 8 scones. Brush with milk or an egg wash if you want to and fancy sugar if you are feeling extra special. Bake 17-19 minutes and then let them cool at least 10 minutes (this will be hard to do).

3 comments:

Rhett and Dora said...

These look so yummy! And just for the record I made blueberry scones with an orange glaze on Sunday. They were tasty. I will have to try these too! We are so alike!

Alyssa said...

I'm always so impressed with your recipes! Someday when I feel adventurous I will try one and let you know how I ruined it!

fiona said...

Golly Beaver, those LOOK swell! (That may be my favorite phrase for a while, now, "golly beaver!" ha!) I should KNOW by now not to read your blog when I'm hungry...