Yep that's right, our dogs decided to play with a porcupine Saturday night. We didn't know until we got home from church(we have the 9am). Justin was going outside to grill some hamburgers and saw the dogs. We tried to pull some of them out with the pliers but they were to deep and painful for them. So we called the vet ER number and he told us to bring them in. They have to put them to sleep to pull them all out and this is all times 2! It took about an hour and then Justin brought them home, they were so groggy it was kind of funny, but then there muzzles were swollen and it was sad to see them like that! They couldn't even drink water, Jack had one on his gums. I learned a lot about porcupines, besides the fact that they are horrible to mess with. There quills have little burrs down them and they are sharp on both sides,I learned that first hand while we were trying to pull them out. And that you have to put your dog to sleep in order to pull them out.
And the vet bill? about $300! Good thing we love our dogs, it was so much more because it was an after hours, on the weekend, guy by himself, both dogs, gonna poke your eyes out kinda of a thing. But we couldn't have waited until Monday when they were open it was just horrible to see them like that, I was going to get a picture but thought that might be to cruel to make them wait for a picture instead of trying to get them out or take them to the vet.
There all good now, they were able to eat there breakfast. I think they are a bit groggy still because they are not running around wrestling with each other. I hope they learned there lesson not to mess with another porcupine!
Would that be another minus for the country?
3 comments:
My very first thought when I started reading was "uh, oh, doesn't sound good for the country!"
The whole thing sounds horrible! Putting them to sleep and all, wow!
poor puppies!! and the answer is yes!
Oh wow! those poor doggies!! and your poor wallet. I've never even seen a porcupine, and I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know they lived in TX! Quite obviously, they do. I always thought they were more northern animals. Groggy doggies...hee,hee... ;) Betcha they avoid them now.
Post a Comment