Monday, July 21, 2008

Purple Oatmeal

Red Berry Risotto Oatmeal
from Marilyn S. ( she has a lot of recipes I am going to try!)
1/2 cup steel-ground oatmeal (such as McCann's Irish Oatmeal)
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 cups water
1 vanilla bean, scraped (I used vanilla paste, you could use 1/2 tea. vanilla )
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 bag frozen raspberries, thawed
OR 1 cup ripe raspberries 1 cup ripe strawberries, quartered
In a rice cooker add all the ingredients, except the fruit. Cook until done. (Alternately, you can cook the mixture in a large pot. Bring to a quick boil and then lower to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 25-30 minutes. Remove rice and oatmeal from the rice cooker. Add raspberries and stir to combine. Stir in strawberries and continue to stir until the berries have turned the risotto slightly pink, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately. If you are planning on saving leftovers and heating up in the morning, only add berries to each individual serving the morning of and not to the whole batch.

I made a berry mixture by putting mixed berries(I used the organic 3 berry one from Costco), sugar and a little water in a pan, heated until they were soft, then pureed them, put them in a squeeze bottle and was able to drizzle it over the oatmeal and make faces! I call it Purple because that's what color it turned when you stirred it all together! Zander and I really liked it, He eat it all up, I thought it was nice and creamy and with the sweet and tart berries made for a nice breakfast:) Annalyse my picky eater didn't like it at all but that's no surprise! I liked that I could put it in my rice cooker and it was ready in about 20 min.

No comments: